Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Power of Whisper: Hearing God and Having the Guts to Respond


I know that it may seem like all I do is read, but I AM actually looking for a job, too... But I am enjoying the time I have to read a bunch of stuff -- and I'm open to suggestions (I'm currently looking for books about the life/ministry/church planting/missionary journeys of Paul).

The Power of a Whisper is the first book I read by Hybels -- and I plan to read more! 

God keeps reminding me of Isaiah 55.8: 


God’s ways and thoughts are rarely my own. I need to listen for God’s promptings in my life.

This was the first book I read completely on my Kindle! I plan to order the book because it was THAT good! You’ll have to excuse this post… I do not know where in the book the quotes are (and I'm not exactly sure how to quote something on a kindle)!

GOD COMMUNICATES!
“My entire journey comes down to a series of unplanned promptings from heaven that have charted a course for my life even I never could have foreseen”.

“If there is a pattern in Scripture regarding whispers, it is that we serve a communicating God – a God of words. He created with a word, he healed with a word, he encouraged with a word, he rebuked with a word, he guided with a word, he prophesied with a word, he assured with a word, he loved with a word, he served with a word and he comforted with a word. Throughout all of history, God has communicated, and he still is at it today. The issue isn’t whether or not God is speaking; it’s whether we will have ears to hear what he says.”

This reminds me of Hebrews 1.1-4... and this Acappella song

BIBLE READING
“There is tremendous benefit to be gained from going slowly and systematically through the Word of God, asking him with every turn of events, ‘What were you up to here, God? Why did you pour favor on that woman or man?...’

OBEDIENCE
“Whenever you find yourself on the receiving end of God’s prompting, be sure to obey – no matter the cost. Don’t let fear or doubt rob you of one bit of what God has in store for you. Whenever you hear from God, do precisely what he asks for you to do.”

“It’s one thing to say to God, ‘I want to obey the input I hear from heaven. I want to follow your whispers every step of the way.’ But it’s quite another thing to actually follow through.”

I was not expecting to be so saddened by the end of this book. But when you hear about how God is working in someone’s life, you find yourself not wanting their story to end. It was a good to time for me to reflect on how God's whispers have shaped my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment