Saturday, September 1, 2012

When Bad Christians Happen to Good People


I really appreciated Dave Burchett's authenticity throughout the book. I could relate to him on so many levels as being the one wounded by other Christians as well as inflicting pain. He was honest and shared personal examples from his own life.

My favorite chapter was Chapter 15: Blindsided by God -- Never Saw it Comin'.

Burchett divided the book into three parts:
 1. Silencing the Lambs: The Indefensible Things We Do to One Another
 2. Why Won't Those Heathens Listen? Thoughts on How We Lost Our Audience
 3. Reality-Based Faith for Survivors: Being Real in an Artificial World

Having had a few conversations with friends lately, I have realized what a huge problem other Christians can present in blocking others to God's grace. It saddens me to see once-strong Christians bitter about the Church.

"Relationships exclusively outside the faith might not be the best for your spiritual health. But believe me, relationships exclusively within the faith will put you in violation of the Great Commission (Matthew 28.18-20)" (56).

"I have never... caught a fish without going to the water where the fish were located.... [Y]ou cannot fish for people without going to where they are located. But understand that sometimes they will be in polluted water" (125).

"If you are tired enough, discouraged enough, and wounded enough, maybe you are not ready to scream, 'I can't do this anymore!' And if you are, then I have good news: you are ready for grace" (211).

I could keep adding my favorite quotes, but I'll just let you read the book... and I highly recommend that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment