Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Deep & Wide

No, not the song, but if you grew up in church, I'm sure you'll have that song stuck in your head for a while...


Andy Stanley wrote this book and I have been reading it the last few months for our staff meetings.

It is a really great book that encourages people to think through how they've been "doing church".

One of the chapters that made me step back and consider how things are done is chapter nine. It was all about "the message before the message". Basically making sure that things are clean in appearance, putting yourself in the first timers' shoes and thinking through what they might be thinking if they came to your church.

I also really loved the conclusion chapter.

My heart is captured by those who are unchurched for whatever reason. I have a hard time with the status quo in church because I know there are people out there who do not know Jesus. There are people who are MY NEIGHBORS who do not know Jesus.

This book was challenging churches to look through the perspective of someone who has not been to church in a while and make it captivating. You do not have to dumb down the message, but we have made church about keeping church people happy for far too long and Stanley is calling us to go wide.

Church is for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment