Thursday, December 24, 2015

Still


 This book.

Stop what you are doing now and treat yourself to this book.

Lauren F. Winner teaches at Duke. She is divorced. She lost her mother. She is honest that life does not always turn out the way you thought it would.

I knew I had found a kindred spirit when she talked about her inability to create masterpieces in the kitchen, her love for doodling prayers, and her affinity for the balcony at church.

"[W]hat I feared most about loneliness [was n]ot being alone, which I often ind perfect and peaceful, but loneliness, which makes me want to die, which makes me think I will die, which I will do anything to avoid feeling" (54). "Sit with the loneliness and ask what the loneliness can do for you" (56).

"I am too lazy to do what's important, or hard, so I stay busy with everything else" (105).
I cannot pinpoint the exact thing that makes me connect and love her writing, but I plan to check out more of her books. My favorite chapter was "A Sunday morning in Massachusetts".

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment