Monday, January 8, 2018

Rising Strong: 5/5



Brene Brown brings it again! After reading Daring Greatly last year and being in the tough arena of teaching urban students, it was great to read this book in late 2017. I have not written about it because it just takes a little time to process.

My heart needed this book. I learned that through my experiences, I have become a badass, "feeling machines who think and engage with their own emotions and the emotions of the people they love, parent, and lead" (p. 8).

Other key passages include: 
  • "We can rise up from our failures, screwups, and falls, but we can never go back to where we stood before we were brave or before we fell" (p. 5).
  • "The most difficult part of our stories is often what we bring to them - what we make up about who we are and how we are perceived by others... The most dangerous stories we make up are the narratives that diminish our inherent worthiness. We must reclaim the truth about our lovabilitiy, divinity, and creativity" (pp. 75, 82). 
  • The most mind-blowing thought from this book had to be "we're all doing the best we can" (p. 118). I struggle to believe it for myself as a recovering perfectionist, but I have seen it is a better way to view the world.

This is a book I will be coming back to - almost every page having an underline of something that stuck out to me. Each chapter begins with an IG-worthy quote and a short quote to start the chapter.

I was able to relate to Brene's story because grieved a lot due to my parents' divorce and losing my grandmother to Alzheimer's, too (p. 145). Our perfectionist nature, temptation to compare, and introversion also hit home in the book (pp. 194-195, 221). Good to know that on so many levels, I am not alone.

I loved this book, and while I cannot read her books quickly, I thoroughly enjoy them. GO GET THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment