Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Broken Way: 4/5






While I was not a fan of Ann's first book due to the flowery language, this book came highly recommended, so I attempted reading it with the help of Audible. I am glad I did because it is a much-needed book on brokenness. She shares personal details of her life you would never guess she struggles with, proving that authors are human! This book is all about accepting your own brokenness, finding community in the brokenness and looking to God for healing. She has many great insights in this book, even sharing some life wisdom with her daughter, who seems to be following the same path as her.


"You have only one decision every day: how will you use your time" (p. 59)? True story. What we give our time to determines what and who we love!

"Why is it so hard to believe you are believed in?... Letting yourself beloved is an act of terrifying vulnerability and surrender" (pp. 99-100). This section of the book really hit hard. Being single, I sometimes doubt myself as being a worthy partner to someone. I guess even married people feel this way sometimes

 "You can't know the wine you will be during the days you are breaking and being crushed like grapes. Are the most painful chapters of our lives always the most meaningful" (p. 170)?

My favorite chapter in the book was chapter fourteen called "Breaking the Lies in Your Head".

"[T]he loneliness of self-protecting barriers can feel like it will kill you - and the heart-breaking risk of intimacy and vulnerability can feel like it will kill you, too (p. 213).

I think Voscamp is obsessed with the number one thousand - she writes it a lot. I guess her first love will always be her first book, One Thousand Gifts, but I much preferred The Broken Way. If it's possible, I think the book just kept getting better, much preferring the later chapters in this book that talked about grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment